4.28.2009

Long couple weeks

As the title implies, we've been having a tough couple weeks at our house. Jett has been having a lot of tummy/gas issues--otherwise known as colic. Luckily it seems to be mostly during the day and into the evening, but not at night, which I really think is our saving grace. It's the worst in the evening, so at least Roman is home to help by then.

On top of the tummy problems, we just figured out last Friday that he has what's commonly known as a tongue-tie. When he was nursing he was causing me a lot of pain, which lead to crying (on my part) and a trip to visit the lactation consultant at Texas Children's Hospital. One of the consultants helped me make sure he was latched correctly and gave me some other tips to help. Well it didn't improve and actually got worse, resulting in me bleeding. I didn't realize that the blood was coming from me at first. I'd hit Jett's gums with my finger nail while I was trying to latch him and I thought maybe I'd made him bleed. The next time I fed him there was more blood and I figured out it was me. The blood he took in left him with several days of severe tummy upset.

We went back to see another lactation consultant last Friday who thought he may have had a tongue-tie. It basically means that the little piece of tissue under his tongue, that attaches it to the bottom of his mouth, is too short. When he nurses his tongue should come out and cover his bottom gum line, but because that piece was too short he couldn't get his tongue out that far to nurse properly. So in essence, he was sort of gnawing on me with is bottom gum line and causing the pain. For Jett the tongue tie wasn't very obvious because most babies who have the condition aren't getting much milk so they aren't growing. He's not having that problem as he's already 10 lbs. We went to a pedicatric dentist that same day and she was able to remove that piece of tissue rather easily. Now the problem is teaching him to suck the right way. We have a little exercise we have been doing with him to teach him, but it takes time, so we're still struggling.

Lila is still adjusting as well. Not only to not being an only child, but also to being two! We are working on not crying or whining when she wants something, and to listening when Mommy and Daddy tell her to do/not do something.

As far as fun things go. Since we never had a party for her, we had a small birthday playdate for Lila this weekend. We had pizza and cake and the kids played. I think Lila really liked having her friends/cousins over to celebrate.









I got a new carrier for Jett and it works great. The picture is really poor, but you get the idea


Her bday playdate



Getting a goodbye kiss from her friend Bentley


No comments: