4.02.2009

Baby Jett

Jett Roman Ayd Anguiano was born Friday, March 27th, 2009 at 9:08pm, weighing 8lbs 6oz. Quite a few people have asked about his name. Jett is my step-dad's brother's name, and I'd always liked it. Roman and I had talked about the name when we first found out we were pregnant. Then when after Hurricane Ike Jett and his wife Carolyn offered to let us all come to San Antonio to stay with them as they'd just moved back there and into a new house. Luckily for us, Jett is a wonderful guy as we were afraid we might not like him and then the name would be ruined--just kidding Jett!! We added Ayd, my maiden name, in honor of my dad who passed away a couple weeks before baby Jett was born. For those of you who are interested, here's the story of his birth. For the rest of you, or those who've heard this already, scroll down to the photo.

I went to the doctor Friday afternoon and she said I was four centimeters dilated. She did something OBs call "stripping your membranes", which can accelerate the onset of labor. I'll spare you the details, but needless to say, it worked. I started having contractions about 1pm and having REAL contractions around 4:30. All the while, Roman came home from work, my mom came to get Lila, and we had to pack for the hospital. The doula came over about 5:30 and by 6:00 we left for the hospital ride--a 45+ minute ride.....in rush hour traffic.....having contractions! It was NOT a good ride for me. We got to the hospital at 7pm and I was 7cm dilated.

Luckily were able to get a room with a jacuzzi tub. I spent some time in the tub, but when the midwife checked me I was still only 7cm. My doctor was at a big function downtown so she sent one of the midwives from her practice to check on me. Since I wanted to try to go through labor without getting any medication, I had specifically asked she send one of the midwives to deliver the baby if she couldn't be there. Our doula and the midwife thought if I were to get out of the tub and be more upright, perhaps my water would break and I'd continue to dilate. That's what we did, but it didn't help, so the midwife ended up breaking my water around 8:30. That did the trick and shortly thereafter I was ready to push. He came out really quickly, and thank God as I was starting to wear down and contemplate pain medication. Because of my bad back, I was feeling the contractions both in the front and back. It was actually my back that hurt the worst.

At 9:08pm Jett made his entrance. I was able to reach down and catch him. The midwife or doula (I can't remember which) asked if it was a boy or girl. Roman and I turned him over together and said "IT'S A BOY!".

Second births are definitely much easier than first births. The recovery is much better without pain medication as well. I didn't have to get any stitches and was able to go take a shower shortly after Jett was born. Even my body felt so much better in the following days. I felt like my whole body hurt for days after Lila was born. This time I just had aches and pains, mostly associated with my back because of the labor, but really nothing else to complain about.

Jett had some respiratory issues when he was born that landed him in the NICU shortly after we got to our room. They think because he came out so fast after my water broke he wasn't squeezed enough by the contractions to get all the fluid out of his lungs. His face was also pretty bruised up, which they also think was because he came out so quickly. The repiratory issue cleared up, but then he developed a bad case of jaundice because of the bruising, which kept him in the NICU until Monday night.

This past week has been an adjustment for us all. Roman has been tending to Lila's needs and I to Jett's. Lila LOVES her little brother though. She wants to be near him, hold his hand, touch, and kiss him all the time. She is pretty rough though, so we have to watch her very carefully around him. While we were in the hospital my mom brought Lila to see us several times, so we could spend time with her and she could see Jett. Lila was calling Jett "baby Jesus" the entire time. She has a book about baby Jesus and I guess the names sounded too much alike. Lila was saying, "Mommy, touch baby Jesus" or "Daddy kissing baby Jesus". Quite the character our daughter!

We are beyond grateful to have a healthy baby boy. Below are a mix of pictures, mostly from the days we were in the hospital.


Right after Jett was born





Roman, our doula Jami, me, Jett and the midwife Dawn












Lila and Grana Nana got us some flowers for the house, and Lila colored us a picture to welcome us home

Must have been dreaming about something nice


3 comments:

Amber said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful

bobbi__jo said...

yeah! he's a keeper :)

Michelle Tanner said...

The pictures are priceless! I love Lila and "baby Jesus"! So cute!