6.18.2009

Minnesota

If I had to sum up our trip to MN in one word, I think it would have to be "cursed". Okay, maybe cursed is a bit strong, but it was definitely problem-filled.

PROBLEM ONE: We'd planned to go for seven days, Tuesday to Tuesday, to sort out all the things at my dad's house. My cousins are going to rent his house, so we just had those seven days to get everything out of the house. Well Roman ended up with a couple meetings he couldn't change. So he flew up with us last Tue, left Wed night, flew back to MN Thr night, then left again Mon morning and met us back at the airport in Houston Tue night. Thank God for my mom! If she hadn't come with us I'd have gotten absolutely nothing done with two kids to handle. I can barely get things done at my own house with my two kids here.

PROBLEM TWO: My aunt and uncle were planning a trip to Texas so they offered to take their big heavy duty pickup truck and tow a trailer with all the things from my dad's house that we wanted to take here. This option was about 1/4 as expensive as our previous option, which was to rent a pod and have it transported here once we loaded it. Well my aunt was having some health problems so they cancelled their trip. We scrambled to get a pod and it was delievered Monday morning. With Roman gone, my mom and I recruited a bunch of people to help us pack it up.


PROBLEM THREE: The dog.
Noli was staying at my mom and step-dad's house while we were gone. My step-dad let him outside one night and just as he ran out the door, a spot light Kent had on created a big shadow and scared Noli really bad. He was so scared he went running back in the house, pooping and peeeing as he ran. Kent put him back outside so he could clean up the mess and when he came back Noli was gone. Kent put up posters, searched the neighborhoods around their house, and called the shelters in the area. I did some online searching and put a lost dog posting on the SPCA website, but we haven't found him.

We all miss him, but I was most concerned about Lila. Within an hour of us coming home on Thr Lila asked, "Where's Noli?". Then Wed she wanted to take Noli's food over to my mom's house for him. I told her that Noli ran away and when she asked where he went, I told her that we didn't really know, but that maybe he went to look for Papa [my dad]. She keeps randomingly saying, "Noli runned away?" and I just keep telling her "Yep, he ran away" and she says "Oh". I imagine in time she'll stop asking.

PROBLEM FOUR: My thumb...it starts with the bedroom set you see in the picture below.
I had put this bedroom set of my dad's on Craig's List and someone had wanted to know if the nightstand cabinets separated from the headboard. I was trying to move the cabinet over to see if they separated and the overhead piece above the mirror fell on my thumb. Yeah, you see that big wood piece? That's the one. It was SUPPOSED to be screwed in, but it wasn't. Well when it fell the corner of it lacerated my thumb to the bone. Hi ho, hi ho, off to the ER I go. Luckily my cousin Jenny was there so she stayed with Lila, and my mom and I took Jett with us. The ER doctor was concerned that there was either some tendon damage, or some damage to the casing around the thumb joint, so she put my thumb in what she called a splint. She basically made what I'd call half a cast around my thumb, hand, and wrist to hold my thumb in a thumbs up position. I went to a hand doctor here in Houston the other day and he said it looked fine and that the clicking at my thumb joint was probably due to swelling.


IT WAS AWFUL having that thing on my hand!! You don't realize how many things you can't do when you don't have one thumb. And of course, it had to be my right hand as well, making it even more difficult. Those stupid snaps on baby clothes, those look me forever to get snapped. All is healing up nicely now though, so it's all water under the bridge. Thank you God that it wasn't something serious--I need my thumb!






Before the stitches



My splinted thumb





Two days after the stitches came out--not too bad.



Well I think that about sums up the majority of the issues we had. I had a really hard time letting go of my dad's things. He really loved the things he had in his house, because most all of them were antiques that came from his parents and extended family. I sit and lament the things I let go, but I couldn't keep everything. As hard as it was to go through all my dad's things, it was great to see my family, and they were all SO helpful! I could never have done it without them.


Below are some random photos (and a video) I took before and after our trip. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take any photos while we were in MN.



Lila was sharing her giraffe with her brother



Chillin' in the bath



First time in the neighbor's pool this year.




She is OBSESSED with drinking from the Sesame Street "big girl cup" she got from Marta at Roman's office. I cannot count the number of times she's spilled on herself, but we only put water in it, and just little bits at a time.



Roman says she looks like she partied too hard.




Still smiling with one pirate eye



My baby is such a big boy--12 weeks already, where does the time go?! He straightens his legs and stands up all the time. He is so long that now his 3-6 month sleepers and some of the shirts are getting to be too short. It's crazy because there's all this extra room in them because he's so skinny, but then you can see his belly sticking out the bottom.
We've managed to weather the colic stage and now he's so easy and predictable. He only really cries when he's hungry, tired, or needs a diaper change. He still has some gas issues, esp. in the evening, but it's 1000% better than it was. He's so happy and smiles at us all the time. We have little conversations with him as well. After he eats I'll put him in his chair and we'll smile and talk to each other. He coos and makes all sorts of noises when I talk to him.

This is a video of Lila singing her ABCs. She's modified the song a little, but she has it mostly right.



No comments: